Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hunting Season

Author's Note: If you want to learn about our history and how the Indians and Pilgrims survived then you want to learn about hunting.


The time has come again, the time for hunting, around this time many men and women go and hunt especially deer hunting. The long and endless night’s packing and making sure that you have everything that will keep you warm and especially the main part the gun and bullets and making sure you have a case for it.

It takes my dad, my brother and me at least two weeks before we leave to have everything ready to go. That’s because we do the traditional hunting like in the olden days, we stay in tents. We have 8 people coming this year but usually we have 9 and sometimes even 10 people coming all together to hunt. We hunt up in Douglas County, at a campground called Shone Park. It is next to the St.Croix River, but we aren’t in a house or a shack or whatever you want to call it we camp in big canvass tents. We have one that is used for the kitchen, and the other is the sleep tent. We usually have around 5-10 people rarely 10 though, it’s a lot of fun and I have been going up for 3 years now with one of my brother.

But we ran into a problem, recently there was a wind storm that swept through the campsite and all over Douglas. There are tons of trees down and it is a huge mess. It is going to take the lumber men a couple of months to clean it all up, anyway that doesn’t faze us. We still continued to hunt, and it worked out in the end my dad’s friend Bruce shot a monster buck, it was an 8 pointer! Its rack was really thick, that’s because the deer that we hunt are real ruff necked deer. They are truly up north deer, their diet is grass, little buds, acorns, and a lot more random stuff for a food source. And my Uncle shot a little doe that we had to find in the morning, because he shot it right before the day was done.

I could have shot won witch I wish I did. It was a little forker (a 4 pointer) but I didn’t have a good shot at it. It would have been a neck shot but I could have shot at the chest. I was at least 80 yards away and I was shaking like a leave as my dad would say. My brother Owen was about 40 yards away and saw me do the whole thing. Take the safety of and on twice look down the barrel and get ready to shoot. It was a lot of fun and now we have a new campfire story to tell all new and old hunters that we meet.

I enjoy hunting and will be going for a long time. It’s interesting to learn new things, and improve my skills from last year. If you like to learn about our history then this should be your new winter or summer sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment